Gerald Desmond Bridge Long Beach, California, United States
For the construction of the new Gerald Desmond Bridge in Long Beach, California GERB delivered a vibration control solutions for two pylons.
At the end of February 2018, GERB installed a 3 metric ton tuned mass damper in each of the two bridge pylons. The tuned mass dampers were horizontally acting and reduced the wind-induced vibration significantly. The tuned mass dampers were manufactured in Berlin, Germany and the project was supported by our engineering office in the Chicago area.
In any case GERB tuned mass dampers help reduce vibrations.
The TMD may be included in the original design of the structure, or may be installed later.
- Dynamic analysis of the structure
- On-site vibration measurement and assessment of bridges, buildings,machinery and other equipment
- Design of tuned mass dampers, tuned to the main structure
- Fabrication and testing of tuned mass dampers
- Installation and fine tuning of tuned mass dampers and final measurement and assessment